Postdoctoral position available!
Applications are invited for one postdoctoral position at the ULB Center for Diabetes Research, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium for a project funded by the BRIDGE-Innoviris Brussels, entitle “Precision medicine in diabetes: towards an etiology based diagnosis and better patient care”.
The position involves research on the Mechanisms of pancreatic beta cell dysfunction and death in diabetes, with focus on the cross talk between pancreatic beta cells and the immune system in early type 1 diabetes. Additional information is provided by the references indicated below.
A good background in molecular and cell biology and/or experience pancreatic beta cells are required. In case you are interested in this position, please contact Dr Decio L. Eizirik at firstname.lastname@example.org
This postdoctoral positions (one year, with possibility of renewal) will start in June 2019 (starting date can be negotiated) and the call will remain open until suitable candidates are found.
Please email a letter of interest, curriculum vitae (including publication list), and the name of
3 reference persons to Decio L. Eizirik at the email indicated above.
Background references for the position:
1. Eizirik DL, Colli M, Ortis F The role of inflammation in the induction and amplification of insulitis and beta cell dysfunction/death in type 1 diabetes. Nature Rev Endocrinol, 5: 219-226, 2009
2. Eizirik DL, Miani M, Cardozo AK Signalling danger – endoplasmic reticulum stress and the unfolded protein response in pancreatic islet inflammation. Diabetologia, 56: 234-241, 2013
3. Nogueira TC, Paula FV, Villate O, Colli ML, Moura RF, Cunha DA, Marselli L, Marchetti P, Cnop M, Julier C, Eizirik DL GLIS3, a susceptibility gene for type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus, modulates pancreatic beta cell apoptosis via regulation of a splice variant of the BH3-only protein Bim. PLoS Genet, 9: e1003532, 2013
4. Op de Beeck A, Eizirik DL Viral infections in type 1 diabetes mellitus—why the bcells? Nature Rev Endocrinol, 12:263-273, 2016
5. Juan-Mateu J, Alvelos MI, Turatsinze JV, Villate O, Lizarraga-Mollinedo E, Grieco FA, Marroquí L, Bugliani M, Marchetti P, Eizirik DL A SRp55-regulated alternative splicing network controls pancreatic beta cell survival and function. Diabetes, 67: 423-436, 2018
6. Colli M, Hill JLE, Marroqui L, Chaffey J, Dos Santos R, Leete P, Brachene AC, Paula FMM, Op de Beeck, Castela A, Marselli L, Krogvold L, Dahl-Jorgensen K, Marcheti P, Morgan NG*, Richardson SJ*, Eizirik DL*. PDL1 is expressed in the islets of people with type 1 diabetes and is up-regulated by interferons-aand –gvia IRF1 induction. EBioMedicine, 36: 367-375, 2018